Shopping Business Listing Automobiles Real Estate

Our Residents
Our Community
Our Visitors

This was the 400 block of Shawnee, looking west from Fourth Street, about 1870.

At the corner of Fifth and Shawnee was the market house.

Rooms for municipal offices were on the second floor.
In 1878, James William Lansing was part owner of 90 acres of land, which was platted into town lots. He and co-owner, John C. Schmidt named the area 'Lansing.' Eventually, both 'Lansing' on the west side of the road, and 'Town of Progress" on the east side of the road all became known as 'Lansing.' The city of Lansing was not incorporated until 1959. Since that time, the business as well as the residential areas have grown considerably. It is today, as those early pioneers knew it would be, 'a city with a future.'

In 1881, the school that was later to become the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College was founded on Fort Leavenworth by General William T Sherman. Some of the many famous students and instructors at the college are George C. Marshall, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Douglas MacArthur, Colin Powell and George Patton.
Search Search Feedback Feedback Advertising Advertising Add a Listing Add-a-Listing
© 2004 Leavenworth Online. All Rights Reserved.
Please contact [email protected] for Web Page Content Updates or Changes. Thank You